Auditions for the Croswell’s June through September musicals — Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, In the Heights, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and Beauty and the Beast — will take place in March.
Dates and times:
- Saturday, March 11, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sunday, March 12, from 3-6 p.m.
- Sunday, March 19, from 3-6 p.m.
Location: Encore Dance Studio, 124 E. Maumee St., Adrian (across the street from the Croswell). Please bring your calendar so you can list any schedule conflicts when you register.
Callbacks: Please plan to leave the weekend of March 25-26 open for callbacks.
General audition guidelines
- Be prepared to sing a song — bring sheet music for the pianist, no CDs. The song choice is up to you; although it can be helpful to sing something in the style of the show you’re auditioning for, the most important thing is to prepare a piece you feel comfortable with. If you get cut off after 16 or 32 bars, don’t worry — it’s normal for that to happen in auditions and does not mean you won’t get a callback or be in the show.
- Be prepared to dance — wear or bring shoes you can dance in, with loose, comfortable clothing.
- You can expect to be at auditions for at least an hour, possibly two.
- Most shows rehearse for about six weeks. You will be asked to list any conflicts on your audition form.
- The Croswell’s artistic team is committed to flexible, imaginative casting. Performers of all backgrounds and ethnicities are encouraged to participate. Reasonable accommodations will be made for anyone with special needs.
- The Croswell generally does not pay for participation in performances, although a limited number of Equity Guest Artist contracts may be available. We are committed to providing all performers with a high-quality, professional-level experience in a friendly community theater setting.
- For more information about auditions, call 517-263-6868 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Croswell productions are cast locally with open auditions. If you would like to receive notices about upcoming auditions, please sign up for our auditions mailing list.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Director: Julianne Dolan
Music Director: Wynne Marsh
Choreographer: Sarah Nowak
- Caractacus Potts: An eccentric, brilliant, English inventor and loving father and son. His inventions and children are his life. Adult male. Vocal range: A3 to G5.
- Truly Scrumptious: Daughter of the famous candy maker, Lord Scrumptious. Strong and independent, but gentle. Falls in love with Caractacus. Adult female. Vocal range: A3 to E5.
- Grandpa Potts: Caractacus Potts’s father, who is a former war hero. He loves to tell old War stories. A sort of second father to Jeremy and Jemima. Adult male. Vocal range: C4 to E5.
- Baron Bomburst: Tyrannical ruler of Vulgaria and a lover of toys. A man-child, he is very immature, needy, and whiny. Adult male. Vocal range: E4 to E5.
- Baroness Bomburst: Head of the Vulgarian Parliament and a hater of children. Tyrannical and dramatic. Adult female. Vocal range: G3 to G5.
- The Childcatcher: He makes sure that Vulgaria is child-free. Evil and manipulative. Hates children almost as much as the Baroness. Adult male. Non-singing role.
- The Toymaker: With all children outlawed in Vulgaria, this toy-making genius only works for the child-like Baron. Smart but frightened. Adult male. Vocal range: C4 to E5.
- Jeremy Potts: Caractacus’ son. An adventurous boy with a vivid imagination. Male child. Vocal range: C4 to E5.
- Jemima Potts: Caractacus’ daughter. She is an adventurous girl with a vivid imagination. Female child. Vocal range: C4 to E5.
- Boris: A member of the two-person Vulgarian gang that works for the Baron and Baroness. Though he is not very smart, he is the leader. Adult male. Vocal range: C4 to G5.
- Goran: One member of the two-person Vulgarian gang that works for the baron and Baroness. A dumb oaf. Adult male. Vocal range: D4 to G5.
- Lord Scrumptious: Owner of the Scrumptious Sweet Factory. Extremely busy, important, and decisive. Adult male. Non-singing role.
- Ensemble: Kids; Inventors; Soldiers; Townspeople; English Crowd.
In the Heights
Director: Deb Calabrese
Music Director: Dave Rains
Choreographer: Libby Garno
- Usnavi: The lead character. Owner of De La Vega Bodega; immigrated from the Dominican Republic as a child. Young adult male; Latino. Vocal range: Tenor-bari (to G4). Actors interested in playing Usnavi should plan on demonstrating rap ability at the audition.
- Nina Rosario: Daughter of Kevin and Camila Rosario; a freshman at Stanford; bright and sweet. Young adult female; Latina. Vocal range: Mezzo-soprano (to F5).
- Kevin Rosario: Nina’s father; owner of Rosario’s Car and Limousine. Adult male; Latino. Vocal range: Bart-tenor (to E4).
- Camilia Rosario: Nina’s mother. Adult female; Latina. Vocal range: Alto (G3 to B4).
- Benny: Employee of Rosario’s Car and Limousine. Young adult male; African-American. Vocal range: Tenor (to A-flat 4).
- Vanessa: Usnavi’s love interest; works at the salon. Worldly and urban. Young adult female; Latina. Vocal range: Mezzo-soprano (to E5).
- Sonny: Usnavi’s younger cousin; works at the bodega. Aggressive and charming. Young adult male; Latino. Vocal range: Tenor (to B-flat 4).
- Abuela Claudia: The grand-matriarch of the entire community; raised Usnavi and Sonny. Adult female; Latina. Vocal range: F-sharp 3 to C5.
- Daniela: Owner of the neighborhood salon. Brash. Adult female; Latina. Vocal range: G3 to C5.
- Piragua Guy: Scrapes piraguas from his block of ice. Adult male; Latino. Vocal range: Tenor (to A4).
- Ensemble: Mix of women and men, all adult.
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Director: Mark DiPietro
Music Director: Jonathan Silla
Choreographer: Delle Clair
- Prologus: Introduces the audience to the comedy they are about to see. Adult male. Vocal range: A2 to A4.
- Senex: Father to Hero and husband to Domina. Adult male. Vocal range: B2 to G4.
- Domina: Senex’s wife. A shrewish woman who dominates to the point of answering herself the questions she asks of others. Loves her husband deep down, but is outwardly controlling, demanding, and manipulative. Adult female. Vocal range: B3 to F5.
- Hero: The young son of Senex and Domina. He falls in love with Philia and agrees to give Pseudolus his freedom if he can help Hero woo her. Practical, privileged, romantic. Young adult male. Vocal range: B2 to G4.
- Hysterium: The chief slave in the House of Senex. Believes he is in control, but is actually Pseudolus’ puppet to carry out his schemes. Anxious, conservative, loyal. He desperately wants everything to be in order. Adult male. Vocal range: D4 to G5.
- Pseudolus: A Roman slave, owned by Hero, who seeks to win his freedom by helping his young master win the heart of Philia. Quick-witted, scheming, childlike spirit. Adult male. Vocal range: A2 to A4.
- Erronius: A man searching for his lost children. Adult male. Vocal range: B2 to G4.
- Miles Gloriosus: The archetype of the braggart soldier. A captain in the Roman army to whom Marcus Lycus has promised Philia. Commanding, boastful, manly and strong. Adult male. Vocal range: B3 to F5.
- Lycus: The owner of the house of Courtesans. Always out to make a profit, but also wants to provide good on what his business offers. Adult male. Vocal range: A3 to F5.
- Philia: A virgin in the House of Lycus whom we also find out is Erronius’ daughter. She is promised to Miles and vows to give him bodily what he has paid for, but loves Hero and promises he will always have her heart. Young, pretty, devoted. An archetypal ingenue. Young adult female. Vocal range: B3 to G5.
- Ensemble: Courtesans, Proteans, Soldiers.
Beauty and the Beast
- Belle: A vibrant, intelligent girl with beauty, who wants more out of the life than an ordinary existence. She is optimistic, fun-loving, caring, and eager to experience life. Adult female. Vocal range: E3 to F5.
- Beast: A Prince transformed into a terrifying beast for his lack of compassion. He is hot-tempered and commanding, but has a warm, loving heart buried far beneath his gruff exterior. Adult male. Vocal range: A2 to F4.
- Gaston: The egotistical, ultra-masculine villain determined to marry Belle. He is manipulative yet charming and earnest. Adult male. Vocal range: A2 to E4.
- Maurice: Belle’s loving, eccentric father. A child at heart and inventor in his own world. Adult male. Vocal range: B-flat 2 to D-flat 4.
- Cogsworth: A tightly-wound, enchanted mantle clock and the head of the Beast’s household. He is uptight, strict, and punctual but also hard-working, faithful, and thorough. Adult male. Vocal range: A2 to E4.
- Mrs. Potts: A warm-hearted, maternal enchanted teapot. She is loyal, caring, and playful. Adult female. Range: F#2 to G5.
- Lumiere: A suave, debonair enchanted candelabra. He is a loyal and steadfast servant. Adult male. Range: F#2 to F#4.
- Chip: An enchanted teacup and Mrs. Potts’ darling little boy. Innocent, playful, and bright-eyed. Child. Vocal range: A3 to F5.
- Babette: A saucy, enchanted feather-duster, and the object of Lumiere’s affections. She is the playful, gorgeous, seductive French maid. Adult female. Vocal range: C4 to F5.
- Madame De La Grande Bouche: A former opera diva-turned-enchanted wardrobe. She has a caring, refined, larger-than-life personality. Adult female. Vocal range: C#4 to D5.
- Lefou: Gaston’s bumbling sidekick. He is loyal, energetic, and optimistic, but not quite the brightest guy. Adult male. Vocal range: B2 to F#4.
- Monsieur D’arque: The scheming proprietor of the local insane asylum. He is a dark, sinister villain who aides Gaston in his plot to marry Belle. Adult male. Vocal range: D3 to A4.
- Ensemble: Wolves; Enchanted Objects; Townspeople.