Following is a list of roles available for the Croswell’s production of Barnum. Auditions are in late February and early March, and West Side Story in Concert, Mamma Mia and She Loves Me will audition at the same time. For complete audition information, click here.
We are looking for people with a wide variety of circus skills, including but not limited to juggling, acrobatics, and trapeze artistry. Please let the director know about any special skills you have that may be helpful!
- Chairy Barnum: P.T. Barnum’s wife, she is in many ways his opposite: practical and down-to-earth with a strong disposition. Adult — Mezzo-soprano.
- Joice Heth: Billed as “the oldest woman alive,” though she can be played by an actress of any age. Doubles as a blues singer. Adult — African-American — Alto.
- Jenny Lind: A famous opera singer, known as the Swedish Nightingale. Adult — Soprano.
- P.T. Barnum: The “Prince of Humbug,” a charming, idealistic dreamer with a tendency to exaggerate. Adult — Baritone.
- General Tom Thumb: Billed as “the smallest man in the world,” but the actor playing him can be any size. Teen or adult — Tenor.
- Julius Goldschmidt: Jenny Lind’s manager. Adult — Non-singing role.
- Chester Lyman: Joice Heth’s manager. Adult — Non-singing role.
- Amos Scudder: Owner of the American Museum. Adult — Non-singing role.
- James A. Bailey: Owner of a small circus. Adult — Baritone.
- Ensemble roles available for women, men, and children, all vocal ranges.