The Croswell offers sensory-friendly performances of some of our children’s shows. These performances are adapted to fit the needs of children who are on the autism spectrum or have sensory processing issues. Depending on the show, a variety of modifications are made to both the performance and the theater environment, including:
- Diminishing any potentially startling lighting or sound effects. (There are some limits to how much this can be done with a live show, so children who need noise-canceling headphones are invited to bring them.)
- Providing a visual warning of potentially startling occurrences.
- Leaving the house lights partially up during the show.
- Providing quiet spaces outside the theater for children who become overstimulated and need a place to escape.
- Establishing an environment where children are free to stand, fidget, move around, and react verbally to the show if they need to.
- Training all staff and volunteers to ensure a judgment-free experience.