Auditions for A Christmas Story
The Croswell is pleased to announce open auditions for our November and December production of the musical A Christmas Story. The show will be directed by Deb Calabrese.
Auditions will take place at the Croswell, 129 E. Maumee St., Adrian. The dates and times are:
- Sunday, September 12 from 1-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 15 from 6-9 p.m.
Note: We will not do dance auditions on these dates. Dance may be a part of callbacks; you will receive this information from the director if you are called back.
Callbacks will take place Monday, September 20 in the evening, beginning at 6 p.m.
Production dates are November 26 to December 12.
Please prepare a short vocal selection (we recommend about a minute long) and bring sheet music for the accompanist. The choice of song is up to you; the most important thing is that it’s a piece you are comfortable with and that shows your vocal abilities well.
If you cannot make these dates but would still like to audition, please email Jen Letherer at email@example.com. You can also contact Jen with any other questions about auditioning.
Important COVID-19 information:
- To safeguard the health of our performers, all cast members who are eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine will be required to be vaccinated. (As of September, this is anyone age 12 or above.) We ask that you bring your vaccination card to auditions; if this is not possible, proof of vaccination will be required before rehearsals begin in order to participate in the show.
- Masks or face shields will be required in the registration and waiting areas at auditions.
Roles in A Christmas Story
- Narrator: Male, to play late 40s or older. A warm, engaging and charismatic storyteller. Throughout the show, this character acts as a narrator, interacts with young Ralphie, and appears as several different minor characters. The narrator sings one line at the end of the show, and does not dance.
- The Old Man: Ralphie’s dad. Gruff and grumbling, but with a good heart and not immune to occasional flights of fancy. The actor playing this role should be a strong singer and dancer who isn’t afraid to go “over the top” for comedic purposes. Vocal range: B-flat 2 to G4.
- Mother: Ralphie’s mom. She is the engine that runs the family. Vibrant and warm, but never a pushover. The actress in this role should be a strong singer and dancer. Vocal range: G3 to D-flat 5.
- Miss Shields: Ralphie’s fifth-grade teacher, a seemingly stereotypical prim-and-proper 1940s educator who, in Ralphie’s daydreams, transforms into a dynamic, brassy, show-stopping belter and tap-dancing phenomenon. The actress in this role should be an excellent singer and experienced tapper. Vocal range: F#3 to D5.
- Santa: The Santa Claus at Higbee’s Department Store is ill-tempered, slightly inebriated, and very unhappy with his job. Vocal range: B-flat 2 to F4.
- Adult ensemble: All ages, to play a variety of roles throughout the show.
- Ralphie: Male, to play age 9. Bright, winsome and mischievous, he’s the kind of kid you wouldn’t mind having as a next-door neighbor … he might shovel your driveway for you, then use your shovel for a sled! Must be an excellent singer, but has minimal dance. Vocal range: F#3 to D5.
- Randy: Male, to play age 7. Ralphie’s younger brother. Must be an excellent singer, good dancer and fluid reader. Vocal range: F#3 to D5.
- Flick: Male, to play 9 or 10. Ralphie’s classmate and friend, who is also the guinea pig in the flagpole-licking experiment.
- Schwartz: Male, to play 9 or 10.
- Esther Jane: Female, to play 9 or 10.
- Mary Beth: Female, to play 9 or 10.
- Nancy: Female, to play 9 or 10.
- Scut Farkus: Male, to play 12 or 13. The classic schoolyard bully, he is loud, obnoxious and intimidating.
- Grover Dill: Male, to play 9 or 10. Scut Farkus’ toady, who is always at his side.
- Children’s ensemble: All ages, to play a variety of roles throughout the show.
General audition information
All Croswell productions are cast locally with open auditions. If you would like to receive notices about upcoming auditions, please sign up for our auditions mailing list.